In my last blog entry regarding spells requiring Henbane and the note that I hadn’t seen any locally I got to thinking that I should find out what it is that I am missing out on, so I did a little investigating and learned that Henbane is nothing to mess with and in fact can be very dangerous!
It is found here in Medicine Hat apparently, but is known as a dangerous noxious weed that is not only capable of causing illness and death when ingested by animals or humans, but is also a contact irritant so you don’t want to be handling it without gloves either.
It makes a name for itself alright
Henbane is known by several names but it’s three most commonly used names are:
- Black Henbane
- Stinking Nightshade
Seriously… with names like that, one should know to take heed!
You don’t have to take it from me…
The video below by Shaw TV explains its dangers, and gives a really nice visual example of what to look for (and avoid!!) in your garden.
This video is a big reminder to be very careful when working with herbs and plants you are unfamiliar with.